Friday, October 4, 2013

These Pants Are Weird

I've made even more progress on Hook's coat but  I keep forgetting to bring my camera to costume crew.  I am almost done with it, I just need to fiddle with the lining and then hem it and it should be good to go!   At first I was going to cobble together elements from several different coats but this pattern had all of the elements we wanted so why reinvent the wheel?  I'll have the pix up soon. 
In the meantime, when I'm not at crew, I started on Hook's pants.  These are the pants that are part of  the pattern I'm using:  Simplicity 4923. 
 
 
These are authentic-style pirate pants, but I don't know the name of this particular style.  Anyone know?  They have this placket/button flap front closure that quite frankly looks like a big red diaper.  I had the actor playing Hook try them on last night and they were not flattering, the fit was very odd!

 The Costume Director, Pam, pointed out that for some reenactment clubs (which are abundant around here since we live near Gettysburg) you need to be as authentic as possible in your dress, but there's a reason they don't make pants like this anymore!  Since the top of the pants are not going to be seen anyway, I think I am just going to tailor them to fit the actors around the legs and then do an elastic waistband.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails