I did find the reason that the pirate pants were not coming out so well. The fabric we chose for Hook's suit is very stiff which is great for a coat but not for pants that drape in the front. So I've chosen a different pattern for those and I'm working on them. I just needed a break from Hook for a bit. This afternoon I'm working on a prototype for Mermaid Hair! In our production of Peter Pan there will be six mermaids. These mermaids are not that important to the story and are little more than animated set dressing so you might think we aren't doing more than basic stuff for their costumes. If you think that you're wrong because, HELLO? They're mermaid costumes!!
Pam came up with the idea to do falls (or fake hair pieces) for the girls playing mermaids rather than fit them for wigs. Wigs are a pain to put on and keep unsnarled. So I went to the Dollar Store and found some cheap headbands (3 for $1) that had holes in them. Holes mean no gluing, you can simply tie the yarn and other embellishments on through the holes.
I used a few different kinds of green yarn, most of which I had sitting around at home waiting for a chance at being turned into something cool. Today was its lucky day! The chunkier light green one I bought at Walmart. You might think this is specialty curly yarn but it isn't. I simply pulled apart regular old acrylic yarn and it makes this very cool, wavy, seaweedy effect. I tied in a pony bead here and there for some sparkle.