Monday, October 3, 2016

Peter and the Starcatcher Jacket

Peter and the Starcatcher is a play that speculates about the origin of Peter Pan and Neverland.  The play is based on the books written by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson.  I have not read them yet but I plan to soon.  One of the characters the figures prominently in these stories is a pirate called Black Stash (for his formidable facial hair.)

 I am going to be building this jacket for both the Black Stash character and another character named Lord Astor (from whom it is stolen.) One of the more common things we do in our costume shop is repurpose or upcycle old clothes.  I am starting with a man's navy blue blazer as the foundation for Black Stash's coat.
Here are some sketches of ideas I had.
I decided that I would go with a series of graduated bars with pointed ends.  I've folded under where I'm planning to cut and laid the cardboard pattern pieces along the edge to see what it may look like.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails