Monday, October 9, 2017

Fabric Organizing & Inventory

Today I'm sharing this inexpensive and effective way I'm organizing my fabric stash.  I have lots of fabric in lots of containers and when I want to use something I usually empty out the entire box to see what I have and then put it all back (or sometimes I don't and the clutter takes on a life of its own!)

So here's what I did:

I cut a one inch or so snippet of every fabric in the container.  Then I sprayed a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 card stock with spray adhesive and stuck them all on. 

 You could also use glue or tape but I liked the spray adhesive because it's tacky. I could peel pieces off and move them around if needed.

*UPDATE* The spray glue does Not stay sticky over time. I've had to go back and re-glue my swatches to the cardstock. Just use Elmer's or other, stronger glue that'll hold up or you'll get this: 

Once I had all of my snippets on the card I slid it into a plastic notebook sleeve and attached it to my container.

Now I can see what I have at a glance.

  Notice the jumbled mess underneath?  I admit I thought about cropping that out. Do you ever see someone's super tidy work space or fully completed organizational project and imagine that they totally have their act together and got it all done in one day? Well, I am definitely not one of those people! I'm just going to work on it a little bit at a time in between other projects. I plan on doing a couple of boxes a week until it's done. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails