Friday, March 12, 2010

Bean Soup Recipe

  •  
It's pretty rainy and dreary here today despite being a LOT warmer than it has been.  One of my best cold weather comforts is  hot soup.  This recipe was given to me by my Mom she called it "Fat Burner Bean Soup."  It was a favorite of mine when I was doing Weight Watchers and still is!  I haven't done WW in a while so I don't know how their point system is working nowadays but using the one I used to know you can eat this whole pot of soup for 2 points!  It has tons of fiber that totally cancells out the fact that it's flavored with bacon.  How great is that?!
The B52s claim "Everybody likes butterbeans!" but by all means, substitute a can of your favorite beans here if you don't care for them.  I like to eat this soup with cornbread.  Mmmmm!

2 slices of raw bacon
1/4 C chopped onion
1 clove chopped garlic
1 chopped carrot
1 stalk of celery--chopped
1/2 C sliced mushrooms
1t dried Italian herbs
1 15 oz. can of butterbeans (use all the juice)
1 8 oz. can of diced tomatoes (use all the juice)
1 can of chicken broth

Cut your raw bacon into little 1 inch bits, fry over medium heat in a 2 quart saucepan until it's crispy but not dark.  Add your chopped onion, garlic, carrot, celery and mushrooms.  Sautee in the bacon drippings until slightly soft, add Italian seasoning.  Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes and the beans.  Bring to a boil and the cook about 15 minutes or so on low heat.  If you can wait tastes even better the 2nd day!

2 comments:

Debra said...

Sounds so good.

Christina Colwell said...

Hi. Thank you for dropping by. I love your name Periwinkle Paisley. All textile related. I'm a big fan of paisley and try to incorporate paisley-like elements into my paintings. The bean soupo recipe also sounds good. Worth a try.

Hope you have a fabulous week end.
Lets get acquainted. K?

Related Posts with Thumbnails