Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Are YOU a fabric hoarder?

You can't have your fabric and cut it too!


I used to have this funny little cartoon that I clipped out of Quilter Magazine on my bulletin board:  Two farmers are looking at a silo and the caption reads, "Corn!  Heck no.  That's for my wife's fabric!"

The scenario goes like this: I have a sewing project I want to do. I think about what fabrics I want to use. I look in my fabric closet, pull out several appropriate looking candidates in terms of color or pattern--and then I end up going to the fabric store and buy something new because I can't bear cutting it.


With some people it's shoes.  Or cats.  Or old magazines.  For me--fabric (I also hoard paper but that's a whole 'nother blog entry!)  Some fabric, like the pieces in the pic above, I have had for about 20 years.  That's right, before I had children, before I was married, before I even had graduated from college I owned this fabric.  Someone, I forget who, gave me this lovely bunch.  It was from a set of interior decor samples.  It's heavy, satiny, polished cotton and the picture doesn't begin to do justice how gorgeous the colors are. Often my Mom and I will email eachother with fabric finds from the internet.  She always asks "Oh, what are you going to do with that one?"  My answer is usually, "I just want to have it."  


This particular one above, is my favorite from that group.  It looks like it was done from a colored pencil sketch complete with underpainting and pencil-y texture.  So, how about you?  You have any secret fabric issues?

1 comment:

Ann Tuck said...

My mom and sister always say that their fabric "needs to be aged".

By the way, I love your blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails